Everybody hurts, but that doesn’t help me

…And everybody hurts sometimes….
…Hold on, Everybody hurts. You are not alone…

-R.E.M.

Hmmm a classic song. And like all classic songs, simple yet powerful lyrics. But you know what, this song doesn’t really make sense to me.


I guess what this song is trying to say is, it’s OK if you are hurting. You are not the first or the last one to go through something that is hurting. It has happened to others, others have been hurt, and they too have cried. So, take solace in the fact that it has happened to others.

But hold on! (No not the lyrics of the song ‘hold on’) I may be strange, but I don’t think looking at other people’s pain is really going to lessen mine.

In such cases, I believe what the character Ally McBeal in the show by the same name said fits perfectly.

Upon being asked, what is it that makes her problems and her pain bigger than others’…
She replied “They are mine.”

Comments invited.

No comments: